Friday, July 25, 2014

2014 Ironman Lake Placid Part 1

Sara, Logan and I ventured out Monday night for Lake Placid for this year's Ironman. We split the trip up and slept overnight in Kingston as I had to get some work done there. After a nice breakfast Tuesday morning and some work it was on to Placid. We crossed over in Ogdensburg as we always do - a quiet border and beautiful scenery as we head into the Adirondacks.

The mighty St. Lawrence River, home to the 1000 Islands.

The trip in was nice, no issues. Lake Placid remains the same as it always is. Arriving on the Tuesday, however, is different - it's still pretty quiet with most athletes not arriving yet.

Main Street Lake Placid.

Bear selfie.

My machine for the race. Big Beast John Ceko lent me his Zipp 808s for the race. I told him I may not be fast but at least I will look fast - what a poser!

Our cottage - the Homestead on Haselton. I booked this place online for the good price but I was initially a little leary about what it would be like inside. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!! It was quite spacious, had absolutely everything we needed, internet, satellite and it's on the race course. Sara can watch the race while Logan has internet - win, win.

We ventured into town to register. Setup was near complete. At registration I got a nice surprise. Based on my racing last year I qualified as a Bronze level All World Athlete (top 10% in my AG in the world) with the WTC. One of the perks was a separate registration line for AWA athletes. I saved myself at least 30 minutes as the regular registration line went all the way downstairs and out the door to the conference center. I went straight to the AWA desk and registered with no one in line - a bonus given Logan is not big on waiting!


Coachie likes the training playground here. Since I'm in taper mode she's got a good couple of weeks to get some training in. No shortage of people swimming, biking and running this week!
 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment