Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ahh Panama (City Beach)!

Logan, Sara and I escaped Winter and headed to Panama City Beach over March Break. The Durango was packed to the hilt - as evidenced by Logan in his "space" in the back seat.

The drive down was dry the entire way. I took a pic of my favourite sign on the I-75. Always makes me giggle like I'm in grade 3.

Upon arrival we got unpacked, had dinner and a good night's sleep. The next morning was cool but you could feel that the afternoon would be nice. We went for a run with Logan on his trusty steed. After dinner the night before, we found a Toys R Us and we found an awesome bike helmet.

Check it out!

From there it was to the beach! Although it was cloudy it was probably the right day for our pasty white skin. Because it is Spring Break for the US University crowd there is plenty of advertising geared to that demographic - as evidenced by the plane towing this gem!

The sand here is absolutely amazing. Most of the Gulf side of Florida is littered with beautiful beaches.

Even with the temperatures around 17C and breezy, our Sport Umbrella was awesome in blocking the wind and keeping us warm.

We set up shop and turned the channel to our favourite "reality" show - Spring Break! Just to the left of this pic behind the blue beach chairs is one fallen soldier who wandered up and passed out asleep - he clearly peaked too early!

We decided to keep watch over him and make sure he was okay. He stayed there for about 45 minutes. Once he woke up we gave him some water and helped him back to his condo. He was originally trying to get there before but, in his drunken state, could not find it. Turns out he "missed it" by 100 feet! He thanked us and went on his merry way.



For the trip I brought my Zoot Ultra TTs. I am getting them broken in for the upcoming Around the Bay 30K race on March 24th. I like these shows - lighweight, minimal and very comfortable.

Dork and a palm tree.

Sara and I went for a run and made sure half was on the beach. With the tide out it produced a nice surface.

We also went to the recreation park where they had an extensive bike lane system, approximately 30km worth. It was nice to get back out on the bikes outside.


 Doing the "see through" test on my new Orca trishorts. Sara is looking for cracks!

More beach time!

With Logan I was able to get some strength sessions in as he wanted me to dig big and deep holes in the sand - good workout.

Our last day here. The temp with humidity got up to 26C - awesome!
Big Ass beer!

The boys at the construction site.
Finally a panoramic shot of the state park in PCB. The state park is the turnaround point on the marathon loops for Ironman Florida which I'm doing this year. I'm glad the run has many turns as a straight flat run would make me mental. Overall I did 3 swims (longest 2000m), 3 bikes (longest 52k), and 4 runs (longest 17 miles). Overall a good trip, good training week (much needed!!!). Next up is the Around the Bay!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment